"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art." La Rochefoucauld

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

My first day at ICT

Well well.. I'm online! Surprised? haha..
You must be wondering why am I online when I'm in reservist (commonly known as ICT - In Camp Training)..

For a simple reason that my unit didn't cater for us breakfast and dinner, and hence, no need to stay in... but I have to report super early to camp everyday.. so ya..

Anyway, today went to camp was ok.. saw quite a number of familiar faces, and these would be the faces that would accompany me for my entire NS reservist 10 year cycle! So ya..

Morning was so so only.. lotsa waiting before a whole lot of briefing about discipline issues, programmes, etc.. Then we got split into our various platoons, and subsequently, sections.. I got assigned and then the fateful thing came.. What happened was this..

Something happened (dun ask me what, because I don't know!) and my buddy, Boon Sen, thought he kenna call up, because the staff sgt called his surname, and he thought the staff sgt called his name..

He stand up (but it was a case of mistaken identity), and then the OC (Officer-in-Command) saw, but said nothing.. Then he went to introduce the various appointments for this new flight (which will be together until all R.O.D).. and then lastly, he called for his "runner"..
If you do not know what is a runner, it is a person who is like a personal assistant. Wherever the person goes, this runner will follow.. You can say this runner is a "dog" lah.. but of course, this "dog" has some special privileges lah, but what is it, don't know yet.. That's what I heard from all the seniors or those who are ready to R.O.D. after this ICT, as it is their last!

And then he introduced his "runner", but this person replied that he is already in his last ICT already.. so this OC was saying, "what for give me a runner who is at his last ICT? Don't want..".. and then he asked for volunteers..
No one raised their hand.. all kept quiet..

And then, you remember Boon Sen? Ahh.. he was sitting beside me.. and then, because he stood up, the OC has noticed him already, and he started walking towards him.. I was like "eh.. cannot be so zhun lah hor".. and low and behold, he announce to the whole flight that I was his runner.. I was like "huh"..

So people was telling me that I will remain this post till I R.O.D. (8-9 yrs later), but how true it is, I don't know loh..
And I'm really lost.. really don't know what to do.. so I blurred for a while.. Later, my OC asked me to sit in the front.. and you see.. the whole flight know already loh..

And of course, some of the people are jealous, and they are like "cold blanket".. but I didn't care.. Since I'm assigned this title, I just do my best, like how I do mine when I'm at work loh.. so ya..
I mean this title is not I choose, but its the OC's decision.. You can say I was hand-picked.. so ya..

As to whether I need to do those "chiong-sua" work, I don't know.. only time will tell.. so ya.. but I must be prepared to do it loh, just in case..

Ok lah.. nothing else to update le.. I'm very tired.. tml need to wake up at 5am, and report at camp at 7.15am, because IPPT is tomorrow..

Runner-at-work,
<<< abriel >>>

No comments: