"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art." La Rochefoucauld

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Discover Scuba Diving!

Scuba Diving is fun I tell you.. I was that close of signing up for the licence, but it will cost me a whopping $550 for the licence and the open dive @ Dayang or Tioman (very expensive leh!).. so ah.. looks like I have to give up this dream of mine for the time being.. but I got the person's namecard, so if I ever want to go for it, I will be able to loh.. just have to wait!

Anyway, today was quite interesting.. here's a lowdown..

** Photo on right: A group pic (in our wet suits) before we set off for the dive! Don't we look professional? =P

Left my lab quite late to the diving place, as I got some last minute urgent matters to attend to..
To make things worst, the cab driver actually did not know the place, and as if that was not enough, we have to travel via AYE -> ECP -> KPE -> TPE (Jalan Kayu) and I tell you.. super long journey.. and guess what.. there was an accident (involving 4 cars) at AYE, so there was this big jam.. haix..
And I have to like reach there within 10 mins, and I was only at AYE.. so ya..

My other colleagues were actually waiting, so not so nice to reach there late loh.. haix..
But I did anyway, after a whopping $33.20 (meter charge + call charge + peak hour surcharge + ERP) on cab fare (but thank God its claimable!)..

** Photo on left: Playing a fool with the snorkle masks! Quite nerd hor.. haha.. =P

When reached, I was required to fill in this super detailed indemity form.. then wait for like about 15-20 minutes before we can begin..

We were then briefed about the equipment (how to handle the tank, inflate/deflate the BCD at surface, clearing the regulator, etc)..

Then we go into the pool, and the instructors helped to put on the oxygen tank (which is 14kg) onto our backs.. it felt like nothing.. haha..
A few minutes later, we were all breathing underwater and one-by-one, we were supposed to do some basic techniques of diving (from clearing mask underwater to more complicated tasks like retrieving back the regulator in the event that it misplaced out of our mouths during the dive)..

** Photo on right: All of us in the full diving gear, and getting instructions from the instructor under the surface of the water!

The whole learning process take about 45 mins to an hour, and the whole time, we were mostly breathing from our oxygen tanks, which actually made our throat quite dry (because of compressed air) after the dive.. so ya..

It came to the time where the basics were taught, and then, we practice our own in the pool.. so ya.. managed to swim quite a bit, and experienced real diving..

And the lesson ended and it was time to go home.. but ya.. I'm actually longing for an open dive (but of course, have to get the licence to do so prior to the dive), and as mentioned above, it will cost at least $550 for me to do so, but I don't have the money.. oh well.. I shall see how.. if got kakki, sure onz one! So if you are interested, we can learn together.. contact me if you are interested =)

The other day where Tjow and myself were at Starbucks, I told him that I was going Scuba Diving trial today, and he was like telling me about his friend, of how his friend bought a very expensive camera completed with professional lens, to take underwater, and he actually started from an Olyumpus camera.. but oh well..
I told Tjow seriously that I won't be so crazy one loh..
But after today's dive, I finally knew why his friend actually bought the professional camera with lens, because able to be diving underwater with the fishes, is considered a privileged thing for people who love the ocean (including me!).. so ya.. so I told Tjow that if ever I'm going for open dive, I may actually consider to get an underwater camera.. haix.. hope not bah.. since now no money for open dive, means no money for camera.. haha..

Oh well.. gtg and end my blogpost here.. super tired.. tml, one whole department is coming to my lab for a training session, and guess what! My colleagues (in my department) is conducting a training..
And I'm in charge of explaining and demostrating 4 equipments.. stress, and may get "crowd-fright" loh.. haix.. hope not bah..

Under the sea,
<<< abriel >>>

No comments: