"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art." La Rochefoucauld

Friday, July 18, 2008

The "Idol" Experience..

Well ppl.. its the weekend!! Sorry for not blogging for so long.. I must have deprieved you readers of your daily reads rite.. ya.. I koe.. my blog is like a drug to you all =P

** Photo on left: The "Idol" contestants.

Anyway, as you all have known (or already known), I actually joined my company's singing competition, which they call it "The Idol Competition".. so actually for me from the time where I started to sign up for the contest (of course with pressure from boss) until the time where its the day for me to perform (being very serious about it becos I DUN believe in slipshot work!), I've actually day in day out at least hear the song at least 2 times a day! =)

The purpose of this is to like get myself really "soak" into the song, and in the event that I get nervous on stage on the actual day, I wld sing it so subconsciously that I don't even need to have the stress of remembering the lyrics of the song! I just enjoy myself on stage and show my showmanship.. so ya..

Anyway, the day did came and it was yesterday! I tell you.. I was surprisingly very calm the day of the event.. so tats good..

Went back to lab in the morning and do some of my stuff, only to know that my email system at lab had some problem, and then I called my IT staff in Main Office.. and they say they can't do anything, unless I go back to Main Office to solve it.. so there I went back to Main Office and it costs a whopping $17.60 (usual cab fare is only $13 max!, but $17.60 yesterday is becos' its like ERP, morning peak hour surcharge, the fuel surcharge etc..)

Anyway, after my email system has been solved (Thank God, or else all my urgent emails which I needed to attend to wld all be gone), rushed back to lab to settle some stuffs..

** Photo on right: Me singing on stage! Cool huh? I look so much like a Superstar rite =P

Left office for Lunar Bar for the rehearsal and all.. and man.. the stage was quite professional.. then though its only a crowd the most 12 ppl (for the rehearsal that is..), I was actually quite nervous and my legs and voice were shivering like mad lah.. The place was also so so cold..

There is a buffet dinner, but didnt dare to eat a lot and the chilli stuff, fearing that it would affect my singing quality!

The show started and as it progresses, my throat gets dryer, hands get colder by the minute.. so I kept drinking hot tea, warm water, etc..

Moreover the judges for the nite was quite high profile.. one of them was a music instructor who teaches ppl how to sing on Project Superstar, another is a Project Superstar runner-up (Kevin Soon), and another is Project Superstar 2 female winner (Chen Diya).. so you see.. with such a good set of judges, the scoring system is really competitative rite.. =)

Then its my turn to sing.. and low and behold, they've played the wrong song.. I actually saw before the show started that it was already like wrong.. but I thought they had some special arrangement, so I didnt bother to do it at all.. but then when the show started, it came the wrong song.. I verbally told them it was the wrong song.. then the MC for the day said to the crowd to give me more cheers.. ha.. and I must say the cheers did really help to calm down my nerves a bit.. I also talked on stage whilst they were settling the technical aspect part.. and feedback has been given to me that I was very natural and machiam talk like I was a superstar.. hahax.. Well.. I cannot just sit there and do nothing rite.. it wld look a bit bad and boring..

Then the song started and then I sang and gave it all.. I actually said a little prayer (before I go on stage that is!) that God will actually calmed me down, and I was really calmed about it.. I can feel my legs shaking very badly (due to stagefright), but my voice surprisingly didnt quiver a single bit.. except that I forgot the first 3-4 words in the beginning.. so ya..

Once I got "into the song", I gave it all, and didn't care already.. I was super relaxed on stage and emote as much as I can.. and ppl have been giving me feedback that I was a really passionate singer.. oh well.. this kind of songs really need feelings to sing.. so ya..

And as usual, I've managed to like at least hit all the high notes, except some parts which I koe that I've gone out of tune.. but oh well.. I've garnered a lot of screams and whistles during the performance, and I really mean a LOT..

** Photo on left: Me & my brother, Warren @ the Idol event!

After the performance, I've heaped a sigh of relief, and went over to the corner where my colleagues (including my boss) are, and then, they were saying my showmanship was extremely good and they did enjoyed my singing tremendously.. They were also shocked to see how natural I am on stage and when I told them that I was nervous, they didn't believe..

One more thing, but dun koe whether this is good or bad.. my boss actually told me that a lot of middle-age women actually came to ask her what is my name and oh man.. I think I'm attracting a lot of aunties.. I think I wld have a nickname of "aunty-killer" soon in my company.. wahaha..

I've also gained feedback from one of my colleagues who is in QA lab, and he said that this QA clerk is usually very quiet, but apparently the clerk yesterday didnt keep quiet yesterday, and she was shouting and cheering for me at the top of her voice.. and he said it was shocking, becos' he has never seen this clerk so "outspoken" before! ha.. so it was really an experience lah..

** Photo on right : Receiving my consolation prize from my Chief Financial Officer & Executive CEO.

I actually then after went round to say hello and "hang around" my colleagues, and then saw Warren.. chatted with him quite a while, and then colleagues (whom I know of course) from other department (Corporate Planning, IT, Finance, Legal, etc) came to say "hello" and all.. and then the part came where there are like a couple of IT ppl (whom I know) actually asked me to "tah" drinks, and out of courtesy, I actually did it.. but never did I know, its one cup and another.. so in the end, plus my own drinks (becos its freeflow, so why waste it when I have such a privilege), I actually drank 6-7 glasses of vodka lime and 1 glass of vodka orange.. =(

I was certainly "high" but not drunk.. My head was spinning quite badly after I've stopped drinking my 7th or 8th glass.. but I'm sober.. one of the IT ppl I know, I think he was drunk.. he talked "funny" and did some weird actions.. so ya..
This drunk IT guy actually told me I was the champion of the competition, and I told him off, saying "dun bluff".. but inside of me, I was actually hoping that I was the one since I had so many cheers.. wahaha.. =P

But it didnt happen.. so ya.. won the consolation prize.. was a bit sad at first.. but oh well.. its just for fun.. and man.. the experience was tremendous, and I told myself, I would join again next year if time permits! =) I really enjoyed it a lot.. and singing my hearts out to such a good crowd, its certainly make my night more meaningful! =)..
Not too sure whether I enjoyed being in the limelight, or actually the experience which really made me enjoyed it so much.. and I think all really played a role.. be it the cheers from my fellow colleagues and also the atmosphere.. it really made my day lah!

Then got a lift from one of my colleague.. and in the car, my head was literally spinning.. walking home from the place where I alight from the car, it became worst.. I think I walked straight but my head was spinning.. it span until the pt where I slept on my bed and my head was also spinning.. man.. it was torturing.. I woke up at 0125 hrs to the toilet and then I cldn't sleep like until 0300 hrs..

Waking up this morning at 0630 hrs to go to main office for meeting.. so ya.. still felt a bit of giddiness at times (but thank God I didnt have a hangover!).. in the meeting, still feel a bit giddy but still manageable.. ha..

Went with my boss and some other colleagues (from main office but in same dept) for lunch at the new Chinatown Market.. ate the vinegar pig trotters.. and it was so so good! Its actually a stall featured in the "Buzzing Cashier" (aka. Qiang Tan Da Xing Dong).. it is so good.. the stall name is "Tang Ji".. very good lah.. I think last time is at Geylang Lorong 23.. so ya.. not too sure about that.. but oh well.. its good.. you should try it.. =)

Then just before I left main office (didnt go back to lab today becos I had too many things to do in office), I draft up a "Thank You" email to send to all my department colleagues who came down for the event last nite.. Must appreciate them mah.. I feel its only right for me to do so.. =)

After which, walked to church for cell meeting loh.. and the walk was so enjoyable.. becos its very cooling and all.. moreover, it only took me the most 25 mins to walk from my Office @ China Square Central to church.. so ya..

Reach home and then bathe.. and now blog loh..
Ok lah.. becos I had so little sleep last nite, I need to sleep liaox.. very tired.. tml is Saturday.. weee.. the weekend is here again.. and its so fast! =)

My "Idol" journey a success,
<<< abriel >>>

No comments: