"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art." La Rochefoucauld

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A funny encounter over the phone!

Ok.. today's work went well.. so ya.. but sumthing happened in the evening when I was doing my daily paperwork.. so ya.. anyway, here is the conversation.. its a bit scary but funny at the same time..

(Note: some words are in Mandarin for tat added effect or for clarification.. hence, some sentences may be in Mandarin.. so those of you who dun koe Mandarin or not so proficient in it, ask your friends or sumthing like tat ya).. so here goes..

This evening at about 1530 hrs, I've received a phone call on my handphone, and as I have caller-id on my phone, it states as "Unknown".. so out of curiousity, I picked up the call.

The caller was definately from China (becos she has that accent, and its quite strong.. but fortunately, I've been hearing it for the past 1 year, and thus I'm accustomed to it!)

** I shall translate some parts of the conversation, and hence it would be English.. becos the whole conversation was in Mandarin.. so ya..

Caller: Hi. Do you speak Mandarin?
Me: Yes. Why?

Caller: Hi. I'm calling from Macau, Hongkong. As you know, Macau has just recently opened an Integrated Resort. So remember to tune in to MediaCorp Channel 8 this Sunday, 10am. Would you be free to watch it?
Me: (*sensing something was not right, and thus I made up a story*) I don't think so, becos I'm working on Sunday.

Caller: Oh. Then tat's ok. But could you help to publicise this event to all your friends, relatives and colleagues?
Me: Sure.

Caller: As a token of appreciation, we are happy to present you 2 tickets to come to our resort. Everything would be paid for. There is no expiry date for this. You can come anytime.
Me: (*sense tat there is no free lunch in this world*) Oh.

Caller: So do you want me to send this to your house or office?
Me: (*was glutten for a while, becos I tot this was real.*) House loh.

Caller: So what is your house address?
Me: Blk 23.. (* was suddenly enlightened to like not give my address.*) Eh. I don't think I have the time to go to Macau.

Caller: Its ok. You can give to your relatives or friend as a publicity stint.
Me: No lah. I think that is not necessary.

Caller: Oh. Its ok. Anyway, what is your surname?
Me: 魏。(<-- this is my REAL surname)

Caller: 魏国的魏吗?
Me: 是的。

Caller: 然后你的中文名字叫什么?
Me: 宗文。(<-- this is my REAL Chinese name! I'm serious!!)

Caller: 没有。我在问你,你的中文名字叫什么?
Me: 宗文; 宗教的宗, 作文的文。

Caller: Oh. Ok.
Me: *smiles*

Caller: Then just now you said what is your block no? 23 wat?
Me: (*decides to play along with this gal by giving all the wrong address, since I've no intention of divulging my actual address*) Blk 23.

Caller: Then wat is your postal code in Singapore?
Me: (*still playing along*) 550234

Caller: Then wat is your unit no. in Singapore?
Me: (*still playing along*) #21-08

Me: (*still playing along*) Oh. I'm currently working right now, and I can't talk any longer, or else boss will scold.
Caller: Oh. Then its all rite. Here's wishing you all the best in your work and be prosperous always. Sorry to disturb and take so much of your time. Thank you.

Me: No problem. Thank you. Bye.
Caller: Bye.

Immediately, my PRC staff was beside me, and I told him the confusion abt my chinese name story, and he laugh until he stomach ache..

Well.. jokes aside.. but very scary tat such ppl exist and dun koe how they manage to get this number. haix.. just hope tat I dun receive such calls again! =)

Ok lahx.. betcha you have a good laugh as well rite.. but ya.. tat practically wraps up my day lah! =)

Signing off,
<<< 魏宗文 >>>

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAHA~ funny...:D