"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art." La Rochefoucauld

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

STRESS @ work!

Now ppl, I'm starting to feel the stressful-ness of my job.. It may seems easy to you all as to what I'm doing, but you never koe wat really happens until you are the one doing mine.. especially with a near-perfectionist boss tat I have (and ironically, I am a perfectionist myself, but I cant really take another person juz like me.. so ya..).. here's the day's lowdown.. read on if you are curious..

This morning went to work as usual.. reached there a bit early, so had a longer breakfast.. so ya..

As usual, I went up to my office desk to settle some really brief admin stuff, before going down to the production floor to do my rounds, which is a usual thing for me to do..

After a while, my boss came and told me to follow him, becos he wanna teach me how to operate the pipes of the machines and stuff.. I can see why he is doing this, becos I'm a supervisor, so I shld more or less koe wats wrong with the machines and stuff, in the event tat anything crops up.. so I was more or less ok with it.. then I saw them doing the whole process, and of course, I asked my workers anything tat I'm not sure, be it the steps or the way they operate the machines..

After a while, my boss again like ask me any problem, and I was like say no problem.. then he told me tat I shld come in at 7am tml morning to see the initial setup of the place, so tat I wld be able to see how they setup and stuff.. I then was like hinting him tat I dun need to come so early, becos I've seen them doing it liaox, but then he like a bit insist me to come in at 7am.. I was like juz say "ok" but of course, I dun think I will mean it lah, becos you see.. my boss stays in the company lodging which is juz 5 mins away frm my office, whereas I stay like 45 mins- 1hr bus journey away.. so if I really muz be there by 7am, can u imagine wat time I muz wake up and leave my hse? Dun forget I also like have to go work overtime to settle the piled-up paperwork, becos not really nice for me to take my own sweet time to complete it since its my boss's orders.. so ya.. and for this, I have to work till abt 1815 - 1830 every wkday.. and he expects me to like despite all these, still go at 7am? I seriously dun think this is possible lah!

Then I also got the feeling tat my boss doesnt like me to stay in office the whole day, becos he is like at times hinting me tat I shld be down on the production floor.. though its a small hint, but I can catch it..
I dun koe whether is this my boss intentions.. probably I'm over-sensitive.. so ya.. I dun koe.. I juz have this gut feeling tat he dun like me to stay in the office for a long time during office hrs.. so ya..
Take today for example.. my workers on the "jelly processing" side is doing their cleaning process of the machines, and you koe sumthing? My boss is like asking me today when I'm at my office checking the records and trying to finish checking the records ASAP, "you koe wat they are doing downstairs?".. I replied, "washing.. I think they are foaming the floor or sumthing.. becos I saw them briefly juz now"... then he told me tat they are foaming the machine instead, and he told me tat I shld be downstairs seeing it, since I didnt see before.. I clearly remember my boss told me on the first day of my work, tat I need not be down on the production floor during the machine cleaning process/cleaning up the place..
Also, when I had my interview, my boss never tell me during the interview tat I needed to stay back to help complete the paperwork.. he absolutely never tell me anything.. but even if he said I actually dun need to stay back and do paperwork, you think I wld like want to go off on the dot at 4pm meh? Not very nice rite.. got so much paperwork to do, and yet dun want to do OT.. so ya.. so you see my pt now?

But then again, I cld be wrong, becos my boss may like want me to learn EVERYTHING, but I seriously think tat wat he expects of me is a job more for the production manager (which he is promoted to lah, but he is under probation), rather than a small post of production supervisor like me!.. I'm not even an executive yet.. so I was thinking why I need to koe so much? I believe tat its no pt teaching me so much initially, becos I wld sure forget it somehow (becos of my short term memory).. I believe in experience.. more experience, you wld somewhat koe the things liaox.. no pt telling me to remember this and tat, when I'm only like into my 2nd week of my job? I'm not a very fast learner ya koe..
Mastering and reading the production records fast enuf is already considered an achievement for me (considering only 2 wks!), as well as perfecting my job as a supervisor for my side (which is currently "jelly", which I have been supervising them for a week liaox!), doing wat I shld do and koe wat steps they have to do nxt and the rationale of it. All these is not good enuf for him? If its not, then I dun koe wat's good enuf! Moreover, I have earned the respect of my "jelly" side workers and got along with them real well.. so all these not good enuf for him?

Yes.. I agree tat I shld learn the ropes of everything, but why muz he like when I'm already so comfortable with my "jelly" side (which I'm solely in charge), and yet, my boss wants me to learn something else (which is "juice processing" tat I'm not even in charge of..

My boss's reason is in the event tat the person is absent, I wld koe wat to do (in the event of something happening) and how to go on supervising.. but then, you see.. even if I learn it, wld I be able to apply it?
Hello! I'm not the one who do the product lah.. I juz supervise and make sure everything is in order and stuff..
I'm tat kind of person tat if you want me to excel, I prefer to focus on one specific area, instead of like giving me the whole section (which is the process of juices and jellies, as well as jelly filling and packing) to me..

So tml, another person is gonna teach me abt the "juice processing" (which I think I wld be in charge sooner or later, or once I mastered BOTH "juice processing" & "jelly processing").. and I certainly dun hope tat my boss wants me to excel in both sides, as well as wat I'm currently doing for "jelly processing".. becos if I do, I might juz mess everything up.. I wld rather have 1 side and then excel or be professional in tat area.. so ya..

The reason why my boss dun teach me abt the "juice processing", is becos he was not taught abt "juice processing" when he first joined the company 3 yrs ago.. wat he did over the past 3 yrs, is the one tat he taught me (which is "jelly processing, filling and packing".. so ya..

So I guess I have to spend the nxt 2 days (as he has instructed me to do) to supervise and learn all abt "juice processing" loh.. which seems to be more complicated than "jelly processing".. Moreover, the ppl there on the "juice processing" side dun seemed friendly enuf.. Everyday I see them.. I smile at them, but they dun smile back and stuff.. its like they are so stuck up and unfriendly.. haix.. but wat to do? I still have to do it despite my quiet ranting/complaining on this blogpost..

Then one thing which I really dun understand.. how in the world did my boss like juz stack up his paperwork and juz carry on with his daily work? Doesnt he koe tat when the annual audit comes, the amt of paperwork juz gonna kill him or sumthing? I seriously dun koe how did he managed over the past 3 yrs.. they like last minute stuff? Can't they like do it once a week? Or best, when finish checking the record, immediately file! Dun waste time.. tat is wat I'm currently practicing now.. Its like my record for yesterday, has been already compiled and filed already.. I dun waste time one.. so ya.. dun koe why they keep dragging it until its literally a stack lah.. haix..

Juz as I was confident to complete my remaining paperwork within a week, my boss had to come and give me another stack of records.. He told me to compile them, and I thought ok since its juz compile, no big deal.. but then, wat I didnt expect was tat it was actually NOT checked.. so for each rite, I have to like go thru each record and check each timing and no. to see if they are correct or they tally or not.. and I tell you.. with my supervision for the workers in the day, and still stay OT for 2 hrs, I can only complete abt 12-13 records a day! And so far, I have done abt 25 records on tat stack, but then, there is still abt 15 record more.. so you see.. I really dun koe where to start!

Moreover, I still got 2 huge stacks of records for me to compile and file (and maybe check, I dun koe), waiting for me to do so.. Moreover, I had to like take a past record, and find out myself how to file and stuff, becos my boss is busy..

So you tell me.. everyday OT is wat I spend doing these paperwork stuff.. at the same time, I'm also expected to like spend most of the time on the production floor.. so you see.. my boss wants me to complete both jobs at the same time.. how is tat possible? He wants me to complete my paperwork asap, and at the same time, wants me to be on the production floor most of my time, and now got new things to learn somemore..

So at times, I'm juz wondering, am I his slave or sumthing? Help him clear up all his paperwork? It doesnt mean tat he stays in office till abt 7-9pm everyday, I muz do the same.. Becos its really stressful to juz stay more than a minute in the office.. its super quiet and sianx lah.. its so quiet tat sometimes even during office hrs, whilst checking the records, my eyes were super heavy..

Then whilst doing all the checking of records and compiling and filing it in the afternoons (ie, during office hrs), I had this wild tot of like juz quit the job and go to another company to work, becos I simply cant stand the stress of my job, as well as the tremendous amt of things tat I need to learn within a short time..
But then come to think of it, if I really quit, wld I be able to find a new job in such a short time? Wat will others think of me? A person who gives up easily? I dun koe.. but I'm juz gonna perservere for a while, and see how things goes.. I certainly hope tat my job wld get better..

But all hope is not lost.. the only reason why I decide to not quit and stuff, becos I'm really on very good terms with my workers on the "jelly processing" side.. (esp. the 21 yrs old and 18 yrs old guy).. these 2 guys I really get along real well.. probably they are around my age, so tat explains why I feel I can click with them.. so ya..
So I guess good working colleagues are my motivation to carry on working, becos if not, I guess I wld have quit long ago.. so ya..

In the meantime, I'm really very tired liaox.. facing those records the whole day, and tml gonna learn new stuff... haix.. so I guess I'm gonna sleep early frm now on.. see whether this helps me not to fall asleep whilst I check records.. I wonder how will I fare at work tml? We shall see how lah.. Gdnite peepz!

In a dilemma between tiredness and stress,
<<< abriel >>>

No comments: