"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art." La Rochefoucauld

Friday, August 06, 2004

There's more to life than just eating!

Well.. from the title alone, you can guess tat this would be a long post.. and i really mean long.. but i promise it would be a fruitful one.. so stay on and read.. won't you??

Ok.. i shall start with sumthing light-hearted..

Firstly, I had one of the best rojak in Singapore for dinner.. I went all the way to Toa Payoh to get it! Yupz.. if you guess it, the rojak address is as follows:
Soon Heng Rojak
Blk 177 Toa Payoh Central
#01-176 Singapore 310177
Business Hours: 12.00 pm to 8.00 pm
Off Days: Alternate Tuesday

Why is it nice?? its becos' the prawn paste (aka hei kor) is thick and the peanuts is generous.. the ingredients include cuttlefish (its those transparent kind.. my favourite), vegetables, pineapple, cucumber, tau pok and dough sticks.. well.. all these for a mere $2.. cheap rite?? and i really mean the peanuts are generous.. after finshing eating, you still can see quite a lot of peanuts sinking in the prawn paste.. shiok ah.. if you like nutty rojak, this is the one to go for! =)

ok.. another light-hearted thing.. you would realise that there are 3 new addition things to my blog.. they are:
(1) Wendy's blog address (which I help her to create in just a mere 2-4 hrs! She was too busy to do one.. so since I so free, I help her lohz!!)
(2) Added a link to my mission trip photos! Look under the column, "Personal Stuff"
(3) The most obvious is the change in my blog's music.. It has been changed from the samba jazz tune to something more christian.. but then again, me being the jazznut, the music wld definately be jazzy.. so yupz.. the music you listening to is entitled "God Of Wonders", taken from the album "Lounge Worship Volume 2"..
You want to koe how the cover look like? just scroll down to the column of "what's playing" and the cd cover image is there.. helpful rite?? =)
Bought this cd from my church mate, huimin, whom she is working for Mass Media (Singapore Campus Crusade for Christ bookstore!)..
*Psst.. she can get discount if you look for her and mention my name when you buy things from Mass Media! Just say u are a friend of Abriel.. and she koes liaoz.. =).. so wat are u waiting for?? Go there and buy manz =)

ok.. now to the really serious side of this blog! so here goes..

you all must be wondering why the sudden change of music on my blog.. its NOT becos' I feel bored with the samba music and all.. but its just inspired by an event which took place last nite.. the following is the explanation..


I was at Dotz desk-warming party yesterday and only like 4 of us (me, dotz, deborah & minghui) is attending it as the rest of the mission team can't make it.. frankly speaking, I was contemplating as to whether to go or not, becos' its a bit demoralizing and at the same time, I was wondering whether the dip tat I made will finish and stuff.. I struggled with my feelings for a while.. in the end, I decided to go, as I felt responsible to keep to my promise.. I actually prayed that sumthing exciting would happen during the party, so tat I won't feel bored or sumthing..

When I reached there, there was only Minghui seeing Dotz prayer photo album.. and then I ask Minghui where's the rest.. he said tat they are busy making cookies.. so both of us waiting for about an hour before deborah and dotz came.. and soon, joy (forerunner staff) and gwen came as well.. was happy lahz.. =)

Minghui was suppose to lead worship for the party but we didn't in the end, becos' too little ppl and time factor.. so Dotz told me to share abt what am I worried about NS and stuff.. haiz.. juz mentioning it in this blog, really can make me cry.. sorry for being so emotional..

Anyway, so ya.. I shared with them about my struggles (ie, not knowing what will happen in NS, not knowing what's going on, missing my family, etc..)..
And I was so surprised when they said they would pray for me.. and Minghui prayed for me.. and he said sumthing which actually until now I still can remember.. he said tat "even when I'm in NS, I'm still a salt and light of the world, and I should shine for Him as how I did it on my mission trip!".. my goodness.. its so very true!
And after Minghui prayed for me, Dotz and Minghui gave me a comforting (aka reassuring) pat saying that everything would be all right!
Was so touched by their actions.. =)

Then after tat, we proceeded to dinner (ate the famous XO fish slice beehoon [not very fantastic though], prawn paste fried chicken and some oyster sauce vegetables) at Holland Village..
We had a good time of fellowship lahz.. =)

Then it was time for us to go home.. and Minghui walked with me to the bus-stop (becos' he is also taking bus) where I take 105.. its about 15min walk away.. and while walking, I was just sharing with Minghui abt. my worries and stuff.. and also telling him of the fond memories that I had when each of us (particularly me) first met each other on the team when we were at the support-raising seminar! Man.. those times we had together has such fond memories on me man..


Minghui wanted to wait the bus with me before he goes home.. so I continued talking to him.. and the thing tat he said (which can really bring a tear to my eye) is tat he would be praying for me during my NS stint!.. my goodness.. where to find such a good friend??

Then on the bus 105, I whipped out my discman and listen to the cd, "Lounge Worship Volume 2" and just listen and just think of the fond memories tat I had when I was on mission, and also thinking ahead of me being in camp.. will miss my family and friends.. everytime I think of it, my eyes will start to water.. haiz..

then when almost reaching home, this song on my blog "God of Wonders" suddenly began to play.. and I got so inspired by the song, that I kept repeating tat track on my discman..

This particular track, "God Of Wonders" has caused me to alight a bus-stop before I was suppose to stop, and just walk home from there.. which I did and I'm glad I did so.. The night breeze was cool and all.. so the atmosphere was also perfect.. it was also quiet.. a perfect environment for reflection..

so there i was admiring on God's glory on Mother Nature (ie, the trees and stuff) and at the same time, pondering on the words of the song..

"God of wonders beyond our galaxy" - Tat's the reason why nature existed! We, as humans will never understand how all these came abt! Yes.. science may prove it with evidence.. but I'm sure tat there would be some things that are unexplainable!
This reminds me of my witness of God being a God of wonders:
It was raining heavily at our concert site in ChiangRai, Thailand and we prayed for the rain to stop. Even after our setup, it got heavier. Our hearts were dampened but nevertheless we choose to praise God as we sing God Of Wonders and gradually, the rain stop and NEVER came back again!! The concert was a miracle and a success because God is in control! And we rejoice for the lives (7 to be exact!) that were saved that night! By the way, the audience that nite was 200!
The Bible also states that God is a God of wonders: "He is your God, the One who is worthy of your praise, the One who has done mighty miracles that you yourselves have seen." (Deteuronomy 10:21 - NLT)
The following photo is the view from the concert site (as mentioned above):




By the re-assuring verse I had from Deut. 10:21, I can be sure tat God will see me thru' my stay-in-camp for 3 weeks!

"You are Holy Holy" - God is holy and we are imperfect! No matter how much we try to do, we would NEVER reach His standard.. and all of us have sin and fall short of the glory of God.. I can say tat I'm imperfect.. tat I commit sins (even small ones do count as sin too! a sin is a sin!).. but becos' of His assurance that all has been saved by His blood, we are now washed as white as snow, as long as we repent of our sins and seek for forgiveness sincerely, then it would not be a problem!
And one thing that I'm worried when I'm in NS, is that I would not have time to do my Quiet Time (which is essential to every Christian!).. I spoke to Minghui about this yesterday nite, and he said tat "just remember to spend some time with Him.. 15 mins will do.. becos' its essential..you don't want to lose your walk with Him.." was really encouraged to hear tat! As mentioned earlier, Minghui said if there are any prayer requests, feel free to tell him.. he would be praying for me.. =)

"The universe declares Your majesty" - Just receive 2 emails from one of my contacts in Thailand.. she was an exchange student in Thailand from China.. She emailed 2 emails to me, and I feel so bad of not replying her until now.. simply becos' its either I forgot or got no time!.. but just as everytime I read the email, the thought of she coming to know Christ thru' the regular contacts I made with her thru' emailing may actually help a lot.. something like to build rapport first!
And who koes.. I may spread the Gospel when I'm in NS.. recently heard from Minghui tat there is such a thing called, "Military Fellowship Group".. and they had things like cell groups, etc and its headed by those top ppl like lieutanents, etc.. so tat is one thing I can look forward too.. but not too sure whether I will get hold of it..
Yesterday, I also shared with Minghui abt. these few days, my Quiet Times are not so applicable to me.. its talking new Christian and stuff.. I told him tat maybe God has a purpose in me reading those articles.. who koes I may meet someone in NS and eventually lead him into the Kingdom of God?

"Hallelujah to the Lord of Heaven & Earth" - Hallelujah indeed! For God has sustain me thru'out these 20 years of my life.. My life though its tough and sometimes fun and sometimes nerve-wrecking, He never fails to keep my hopes high and give me encouragement thru' the use of media (like emails) and people that I cherish! Hallelujah also for Mother Nature (as I'm a nature lover).. esp. the sights I see on the mountains in ChiangMai.. see below for pic of the mountains tat I mention abt:

Nice right?? Well.. I must say it again, "Hallelujah to the Lord of Heaven & Earth!"

Man.. its late.. and guess wat! I've spend like an hour on this blogpost!! but its all worth it.. told u this song was inspiring rite.. =).. well.. its really amazing to see how God really works not only in my life, but yours too!

Well.. its really hard for me to say goodbye to my family while in NS.. I'm an emotional guy.. not sure how will I cope when I'm in there.. but I'm sure tat God will take care of me when I'm in there.. haiz.. its only 12 days away!! *sobs*

Well.. going to either East Coast Park or Bishan Park tomorrow to do my personal retreat!! Excited over it man.. get to spend time with God one-to-one!! =)

so tat means I got to get some rest now..

Ciaoz n have a GREAT National Day weekend ahead,
<<< abriel >>>



No comments: