"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art." La Rochefoucauld

Sunday, December 06, 2009

My longest run (StanChart Marathon - 21.1km).. Completed.. Finally!!

** Photo on right: My race bib, ChampionChip and well-deserved medal!

The day started at 3.30am for me, where I actually woke up, bathe and ate breakfast.. by 4.50am, I was in the cab and on my way to Swissotel, where my company runners were all meeting to take attendance and take photo and stuff!

While I was in the cab, the taxi driver was asking me like whether I'm running the marathon and stuff!~ I answered accordingly, but I was actually very tired but excited at the same time.. Never in my life have I run until so far before!!

But its all worth it lah, because by completing this race, Cerebos will donate $2100 to the Straits Time Pocket Money Fund on my bahalf, because for every 1km I complete, Cerebos will donate $100 to the Straits Time Pocket Money Fund.. so ya.. its worth it lah.. for the kids! =)

** Photo on left: Cerebos @ Singapore Marathon 2009 (aka StanChart Marathon 2009)

When I reached there, I was amazed at how many people was present.. Its like a mini Singapore already, all crowded at the Swissotel to meet friends and all.. All these are people who are running the full marathon (ie. 42km).. so ya..

Anyway, my company 21km runners (including myself) were all meeting at 5.30am, for photo taking, warm-up and stuff!

** Photo on right: The 21.1km marathon gang!!

This run was not only attended by local stuff, but our overseas colleagues as well.. Managed to get to know them a little better, because I was their "tour guide" in a half-day tour the day before the race (ie. 5 Dec).. a little more about it later in this blogpost.. so read on.. =)

We have colleagues from Suntory Japan, Cerebos Malaysia, Cerebos Thailand and Cerebos Taiwan.. If I remember the number correctly, the number of overseas runners is 29 runners, where various distances were covered - 10km, 21km and 42km.. so yupz.. Quite impressive huh! =)

** Photo on left: Warming up..

The warming-up was a bit weird lah.. but it was not too bad.. didn't really warm up as per sae, because when we started running, in fact, I was already cooled down.. so ya.. The run was about 1.5 hrs away, and we have started to warm up already.. oh well..

But before I even start running, I was already sweating like nobody's business already!

But the run was indeed very enjoyable!.. the day was like cloudy and all.. not much sun came out, so that's why I guess it was good!

** Photo on right: The Start line

The Start Line was like filled with so many people.. all races and nationalities.. it was indeed a spectacular sight, and its the first time where I saw so many people coming together to run.. whether its for personal or charity, it was indeed a sight to behold and experience!

In fact, the atmosphere was like something which I never experienced before, and man, I had a tear in the eye man! haha..

** Photo on left: Running (nursing a cramped muscle in my calf!) towards the finished line

And I thought that 21km was far.. but you see.. along the stops, there were water stations, isotonic drinks station, and best of all, the supporters like almost every 100m.. they were like cheering everyone on.. and what is most touching is that there was this women who was with 2 children, and they actually wrote a sign "Run! Daddy! Go!".. my goodness.. when I saw that scene, I almost teared and it was such a warm feeling!! you have to be there to experience it yourself..

And indeed, I must say again, that the feeling was indeed indescrible and awesome!
It is only after abt 10km that I've stopped running, and do some serious walking.. not really walking all the way, but done most of the remaining journey by walking.. so ya.. And my leg actually start to cramp at about the 17km mark.. But I persevered through, and guess what, I saw my CEO cheering me on at about the last 100m or so.. it was really touching, but becos he is the CEO, I cannot just walk.. so bluff bluff run a bit and stop after..

It was only when I almost reach the finish line, my cramp starts to set in full swing, and if you see the photo carefully (just above), you would have realised that I am in a limping position.. and yes.. I was indeed limping and running at the same time!

** Photo on right: Guys posing for a photo!

But the best experience was when I saw the finish line.. A look at the timing, I thought 4 hrs has gone.. but actually, what I didn't know is that the timing there was actually the full marathon timing.. when I reached the finish line, my timing was 2:55:14. You may think its not a very good timing, but for me, its considered good le.. becos my aim is 3 hrs, and I actually manage to succeed that.. so ya.. no matter what others may say about me, I don't care.. what's most important is that I have completed the race well ahead of my time!

After which, we took photos and all, and of course, rested my leg for a while before collecting the medal which I have, because it was indeed a well-deserved one!

** Photo on left: Taiwan colleagues and myself on board the DUCKtours

As mentioned just now, my colleague, Betty and myself were actually "tour-guides" for our overseas colleague, and man.. I love this job man.. haha.. I think I'm suitable for this line..

Oh well.. the day was of course not without any hiccups, but thank God it was actually minor enough for me to solve.. so ya..

But just seeing their happy faces as we travelled in the DUCKtours and HiPPObus, is enough to warm my heart!
On the tour itself, 2 of our Japanese colleagues actually brought their children, and man.. they were only like 1.5-2 yrs old, and they are look like a 3-4 yrs old in Singapore.. Just wonder how they are fed? =D

** Photo on right: Overseas colleagues on HippoBus

And who could forget the tremendous downpour this afternoon? It was indeed on a fateful trip that we were at the Merlion, for our colleagues to take photos, and then suddenly, just as we are about to gather and go back, the downpour started and man, it rained like nobody's business!

This was when the chaos start! Everyone was scattered, and I had to look for everyone of them.. and the guys were at the opposite site of the building, so I had to shelter them, and thank God for His reminder for me to bring a brolley, and man.. it was indeed useful!
But in the end, I think the guys were a little paiseh to see me going up and down so many times (there were easily 9 of them), and I ferried 2 already.. so they ran across in the rain, and I was like "aiyah.. you shld have stay there.."... ha.. oh well.. =)

** Photo on left: The 2 tour guides for the day - Betty & of course, myself!

And after which, because of the rain, we couldn't go to Little India, because the overseas colleague really want to see it, but it was a little far.. so we just have to go to Chinatown only.. so ya..

After that we had a pre-arranged lunch at Carlton Hotel, and man.. everyone actually enjoyed the food, and I even teach one of our Taiwanese colleagues of how to do "rojak" which he said he wish to try it, as it is one of our Singapore dishes.. I asked him how does it taste, and he said its good =)

I did ask a general commend among the rest, and the commends were good, and this shows that Carlton Hotel has some standard in the food, and I was indeed rite to choose that place.. which is why on a personal note, my family's Christmas Eve dinner would be there! =)

** Photo on right: An alternative to NEWater maybe?

On the other hand, the Japanese people love the laksa.. wonder why? hmm.. they can't eat anything spicy, but they love it.. haha..

Anyway after the lunch, they all went separate ways for their own sightseeing, and the Taiwanese colleagues ask for my directions to Arab Street, Little India and Orchard Road.. so being a typical and hospitable Singaporean, I told them what they wanted, and even told them what is nice to eat in Wisma's Food Republic, since they asked about Food Court!.. And I asked them this morning as to whether they find Orchard Road nice or not.. and they said the Christmas light-ups were very beautiful.. so ya..
Just hope they have a happy time and stay in Singapore!

Ok lah.. I'm very tired le.. it has been a long day for me, and I should turn in already.. fortunately, I got a company's off-in-lieu tomorrow, because I ran the 21km in the StanChart Marathon! Woohoo~

I'm now like applying "Yoko-Yoko" all over my back and calfs, and just hope that it would be healed tomorrow.. haix..

Aching muscles but it was worth it,
<<< abriel >>>

No comments: