"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art." La Rochefoucauld

Sunday, September 07, 2008

Mooncake Shopping


Had quite a good time shopping for makan today @ Takashimaya.. My makan was none other than Mooncakes..

Man.. I was simply spoilt for the wide array of mooncakes! If I have the money, I would buy all.. Hahaha..

Anyway, the crowd was quite big, so walking was a little teeny difficult.. oh well.. but I still manage to buy the mooncakes, and they are shown in the picture above.. =)
Here is the breakdown:

- Li Bai (from Sheraton Towers Hotel) Mini Snowskin White Lotus Paste Champagne Truffle: $40 nett for 8 pcs
(My mum paid for this by her Takashimaya vouchers, which was a gift last year.. haha.. so I "tan tio" =P)

My verdict: Its not too sweet, and this champagne truffle is much better than the one at Fairmont/Swissotel, becos I have tried the Fairmont/Swissotel ones and they are quite sweet.. so ya..
If you cut open the mooncakes, you would see in the centre, there is a thin white chocolate shell and inside is the champagne stuff.. and when you eat it, you really can taste the champagne! Its real stuff man!! So ya.. its good! =)

- Crystal Jade Cakery Traditional Mixed Nuts & Ham Mooncake: $10.50 (after GST) per pc
(Only bought 1 pc, becos its like a bit too much mooncakes that were bought today.. so ya.. scared cldn't finish, so only buy 1 loh..)

My verdict: This purchase was quite random, in a sense that my mum was actually buying bread for breakfast yesterday at Crystal Jade Cakery, and at the counter was a sampling plate of their mooncakes.. so I just took a little bit and try.. I knew that what I took was the mixed nuts & ham.

When I ate it, it was really very good! Its not too sweet, but the best thing is that you can really taste the fragrance of the ham! For a moment, I thought I was eating taiwan sausage! So ya.. its really good! =)

- Home Favourite's Snowskin Mooncakes (100% Pure Durian & 100% Pure Black Durian): $45.90 (with GST and after a 10% discount) for 2 pcs of each flavour in a box.
(Not too sure whether when this 10% discount will last until, becos by right, it should end already on 6/9 (Sat) but today when I bought, there was still this 10% discount thing! hmm.. You can try lah!)

My verdict: The sampling of the mooncakes was really generous. Its not by pieces where you sampled, but by scoops, machiam scooping ice-cream! I'm not kidding!

The moment you eat it, you feel like you are eating real durian (becos it contains D24 durian flesh mah!)..
You must be wondering what is the black mooncake.. I first thought its black sesame, but then its not. Its actually they added cocoa powder to the mooncake snowskin, and when its mixed with the durian, it has a slight bitter taste (according to the salesperson, but I don't taste any! Ha.. maybe my tongue is not very sensitive!)..
Overall, judging from the tasting, I find it not too bad.. comparable to Goodwood Park's Hotel, but I would actually prefer the durian to be a little bit more bitter.. oh well..

The packaging was also good.. Its packaged in a syrofoam box, so it can preserve the freshness of the mooncake.. so ya..

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase.. On top of the mooncakes, I also spend on giving a Sushi Tei treat (but my favourite dessert, Green Tea Wafer, was OUT OF STOCK.. haix) to my family and also purchase my Uriage moisturiser from Watsons at 20% discount (which is quite rare.. only 3-4 times in a year, then got such discounts!).. So I have been spending a lot already.. and I've got to save up for my BKK shopping.. haha.. I am quite determined to bring the whole BKK shopping complex down.. haha.. ok.. I'm exaggerating..
I still have not got my Crocs slippers.. hmm.. let me see if I could see the price for it one of these days, and if its ex, then I can forgo the idea temporarily (or at least until after my BKK trip.. haha..)

Ok lah.. I'm extremely tired liaox.. need to go and sleep liaox! Tml is Monday, and confirm I will be experiencing some form of blues tomorrow.. haix.. =(

Mooncake round round (ha.. I'm random!),
<<< abriel >>>

No comments: