"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art." La Rochefoucauld

Monday, July 28, 2008

Ugly Singaporeans..

Ok.. this post is long overdued.. I have seen enough ELDERLY Singaporeans who has simply no sense of courtesy!

So what if they are elder in age? Does that mean that we have to give in to them everytime?
Yes.. Majority of the elder folks in Singapore are fine.. They are nice people, and if I see them really in need (e.g. in MRT trains or buses which is very crowded), I would give in to them (e.g. giving up my seat). Usually, it would end up with a word of thanks (be in Mandarin or English).. but at least it would brighten up my public transport experience or my day. I feel that I have done something right..

Just this morning, as I was at HarbourFront MRT NEL station, as usual, the peak hour is like super overwhelming with people.. I joined in the queue to tap my EZ-Link card to get out of the MRT gantry.. then, the bad thing happen.. I was simply disgusted by it..

This old lady (I think she is in her 60s) was actually only in front of me, and in front of her, was an Indian guy (looks like an odd-job labourer). And I thought she would just follow the queue.. never did I expect that after she has queued for a while, she conveniently make a slight diversion out, and immediately just position herself in front of the Indian odd-job labourer! She tap her card and she continue walking..

Yes.. though this is like a minor thing, and of course, I didn't wait for long before its my turn to tap my EZ-Link card and go.. but look.. this is Singapore.. and ain't we supposed to be a graceful society, and ain't old folks are ethically not supposed to "take advantage" of their age?
I agree that Singaporeans has been taught since young, to give way to needy ppl (e.g. pregnant women or elderly folks), but look.. elderly folks these days use their age in their advantage, in order to get something better out of it! I'm sure you readers know what I'm talking about..

Arghh.. Super angry lah!! I've made a point to blog this out, becos it was unbearable liaox.. I've got enuf of the nonsense..
But then again, I can't control it, so what's the point of getting angry and hoping that something would be done?
It all boils down to individuals (i.e., elderly folks) of how they are determined to change themselves for the better!

Yes.. no doubt that we youngsters also had shortfalls.. but ain't elderly ppl supposed to show a better example, rather than portraying themselves as an ugly Singaporean?
I would think the courtesy campaign should start again.. but MORE focus to be on educating social etiquette to the ELDERLY folks!

Ok.. ranted enough.. back to work!

Are elderly ppl starting to be a bad society example or someone that we want to love?,
<<< abriel >>>

No comments: