"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art." La Rochefoucauld

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

NDP 2006: A Success!!

At last! What we feared most: ie, afraid of doing mistake during NDP is finally over, and phew! Thank God we didnt make any mistake! =)

In the morning, woke up at 0600, becos word has been passed round tat this morning fall in at 0745 to draw arms, as our SBS bus is coming at 0800.. so ya.. its super early lah!

Woke up super tired.. dun koe why.. As usual, do my morning routine (brush teeth, etc) and then proceeded to boil hot water for my breakfast (which is instant noodles of course).. Then bathe and drew arms at the allocated time. Everyone was somewhat in a very tired mood but I'm sure in each of my shift's personnels who were taking part in NDP wld sure feel a sense of excitement!! =)

Then just b4 we left, something unexpected happened! I actually wore a pair of Acuvue-Moist contacts and my left pair actually came out! I was like panicking as to how and what to do and stuff.. then I found out the next best solution and tat is in bunk, I had actually spare contact lens, so I went up to bunk and take my spare contacts lah!
So frm here, I had made a conclusion tat no doubt Acuvue-Moist (this is a trial pair) is really comfortable, but the initial putting in of the lens into your eyes is quite difficult becos the lens material is really soft and flimsy and to put it in ur eye, it needs time.. however, if I use focus dailies (which I'm using now), its easier to put it in, but taking out is considered slighty a hassle unlike Acuvue becos the lens are bigger.. but oh well.. its juz too bad lah.. but I have to admit tat Acuvue-Moist is really comfortable, so tats why I'm contemplating like whether want to cont using focus dailies or acuvue when my supplies of contacts ends at abt Sept?

On the bus, wasn't very eager to take photos becos have taken it like on NDP Preview, which happened last 2 wks (29/07).. so was juz sitting there, whilst Boon Sen (who got so familiar with my camera settings/operations liaox) tat he "helped himself" to my camera, and of course I didn't mind!! =)

When we reached the place, we were being marshalled as usual by our marshals to our usual holding area, Indoor Stadium.. Once we reached Indoor Stadium, a few of us (Boon Sen, Kok Wei, Randy & myself) were so bored tat we ventured out of the Indoor Stadium, and we went to the South Entrance to take photos.. They have such good view there! So we took quite a no. of photos which were undoubtly one of the best photos for the day! =).. Photos are uploaded liaox.. Go to Photo Gallery > My Experience As A Soldier Boy > NDP 2006 (090806) Photos.

Then we had quite a few runs in the morning, with the last run ended at abt 1200. Then its rest, rest and more rest in the Indoor Stadium.. Our only entertainment in there was the Choir rehearsing their songs, and their choreographer was dancing very lively and her movements were exaggerated, which of course provided very good entertainment.. =).. Managed to video some of her movements with the Choir singing during their rehearsals, however, didnt upload it becos its simply too big, abt 400MB! *gulpz*

Then came dinner time, and it was KFC.. Lunch was SFI (which was disappointing becos we were expecting Pizza Hut/KFC).. Anyway, KFC was 2 pcs chicken, along with a bun and a regular whipped potato.. Didnt really had an appetite to eat dinner, as I was quite full.. but anyway, juz ate lah!!

Then came the moment where we changed into our No. 1 uniforms to get ready for the show! It was funny, becos once we changed into our No. 1, cameras were starting to click away and everyone seemed to be so enthusiatic in posing for the camera to take photo shots!

* Photo on right: A photo shot of my base's GOH with my RSM minutes before we were being ushered into the National Stadium for the show proper!
(Photo courtesy of Kelvin Tan frm my base)


Its then time for us to walk to the National Stadium, for uncasing of colours first, followed by the show proper! On the way to the Stadium, can see a few cameras clicking away as well.. It was such a proud moment for me as well!

Then came the uncasing of colours and surrounding us were audiences (but look at this carefully: CHINA & BANGLADESH nationals!).. I was simply too shocked becos I'm wondering how come the audience were not locals.. but oh well..

Then its time for us to go into the Stadium to perform! Of course, if I told you tat I do not have any sense of nervousness, I wld be lying.. But thank goodness, the nervousness didnt overcome me and I did perform. Not much cock-ups (if fact, I dun have any but not sure abt the others in my contingent, but I didnt think there are any really major problems! =).. I was like quite stressed as I was very conscious abt the tons of video cameras & cameras who were clicking away in the background, so I muz be like ready loh, not to do any stunt, or funny faces, juz in case I was shot at by the cameras..

Surprisingly, the Parade didnt seemed as long as I have expected.. but then I had my touching moments; not during the National Anthem (FYI: I only had goosebumps! Funny isn't it?).. but actually the moment where our Minister Mentor, Mr Lee Kuan Yew, come into the Stadium, just thinking abt the sacrifices tat he has made for Singapore and to develop it to what She is today, is enuf to make me tear!! I have total respect for you, Mr Lee Kuan Yew! =)

* Photo on left: An overview of the Parade Square in the National Stadium itself! What a magnificent sight isn't it?
(Photo courtesy of Elvin Ng [my primary & sec sch friend])


Everything went on very well, with all the march past and stuff.. After we march out of the Stadium, all of us were in high spirits as we were relieved tat finally, the whole event was over!! Then we went up to our bus to go back to camp, and we saw the remaining live telecast of the Parade on TV Mobile.

Finally, the moment tat the whole Singapore is waiting for; the fireworks! Man.. the fireworks were awesome, and I managed to catch a glimpse of it in the bus.. Tried to video it but the bus moved off too fast, etc, so didnt loh!! =(

Went back to camp and booked out lah! On the way out frm camp, Boon Sen, Kok Wei & I were discussing whether shld we go out since its our off day the next day (10/8).. Talks were on the way and we decided to go out loh!!

Went home, put down my things and get ready stuffs (eg: my no. 1 uniform) to wash, before I had my supper (Black Vinegar Pig Trotters) which was cooked by my grandma! It was simply delicious lah.. My parents went to visit my grandma, and tat explains why there was supper for me!! =).. Had a fulfilling supper before I went to my computer to upload and resize my pics and stuff.. and by the time I'm done, it was 0100 liaox!! I was so shacked lah, becos as I was uploading the pics halfway, I actually felt asleep, but nevertheless, I was determined to finish uploading as Boon Sen was rushing me for the pics.. so ya..

All was finally done, and I rested for the night at 0100..

** I'm still counting down the days LEFT to serve.. its 71 DAYS to ORD!!

Happy 41st Birthday Singapore!,
<<< abriel >>>

No comments: