"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art." La Rochefoucauld

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

All shall be revealed!

Ok peepz.. I believe for the past few days, you have been thinking hard what is po-pai-er! Maybe you can't even eat because of my tough riddle? Chey..

Anyway, read on to find out what is po-pai-er!

Last Sun (15/2), I had a Youth Leaders' meeting at church, and as usual, after mtg ended, we usually find places to eat lunch.
We decided to go to Chinatown Market/Complex to eat.

The pig trotters stored was close (thank God or else I would have put back the calories I've lost during my jogging last Saturday - 14/2 and add on a lot more!), so I've settled for Hokkien Mee.. so ya..
Then I remembered that there is this store called "Ann Chin" which is famous for its popiah skin, as it is homemade (and they have been in this business for 50 yrs!).. its really delicious (becos I tried last time!).. so because I'm a foodie and wanted the ppl who went for lunch with me (Tjow, Claudia, Greg and Jaslyn) to try and at the same time, recommend it to them, I bought 2 rolls for them to try.

Now is the best part.. the revealation of po-pai-er and how it came about!!

Anyway, I queue for like 15-20 mins before my order was taken.. so ya.. it was super long lah!! And then there was this caucasian man behind me who said his order.. the conversation is as follows:

Stallholder 1: Yes? Next order.
Caucasion Man (from the way he sounded, he could be a spainish tourist): What is yum?

*Stallholder 1 appears to not understand english, and thus, ask Stallholder 2 to take over.*

Stallholder 2: Yam roll ah?
Caucasion Man: Yes. What is yum?
Stallholder 2: Yam lah!

* I immediately diaox in my head! Ppl ask what is yam, and you answer yam!*

Me: Yes? Can I help?
Caucasion Man: What is yum? Is it fish? chicken?
Me: (*Amazed at his guess of answers!*) No. Its a kind of root, more like a vegetable.
Caucasion Man: Oh ok. Thanks.

*Silence for 20 seconds.*

Stallholder 1: So you still want?
Caucasion Man: Yes pls. Give me 1 spring roll, 1 yum roll, and 1 po-pai-er roll.
Stallholder 1: Ok.. *smiles and talk softly to Stallholder 2*.

For a good 1 minute, I was there wondering what is a po-pai-er roll. I looked up at the menu and saw only curry popiah, spring roll, yam roll, and popiah roll.. so what exactly is a po-pai-er roll? Is there such a roll in the menu which I don't know of? I was seriously thinking very hard about what is a po-pai-er roll, and after that minute, I then realise what it is.. and you koe what it is? It is actually POPIAH roll..
(You split up the syllabus and say it in an caucasian accent, and there you have it.. po-pai-er roll!!)
And I'm really surprised that the stallholder understands what he is referring to.. maybe because of the first syllabus of the word, "PO".. haha..

I was seriously laughing out loud in my own heart.. my goodness! I told this to all who were at the table having lunch with me, and they all laughed and was really amazed at such an explanation.. I can assure you.. all were dumbfounded and speechless when I asked them whether do they know what is po-pai-er!.. I'm serious! When I told them, they laugh until pengz.. haha.. so now you koe.. we must be high class.. cannot say "PO-PIAH".. must say "PO-PAI-ER"!! Say with me.. "PO - PAI - ER" !! wahaha..

But this po-pai-er very nice.. All my lunch kakkis today also tried and said that its good! Tjow even ta-powed 4 rolls home.. so you say whether nice or not loh.. haha.. =)

Pronunciation class in progress,
<<< abriel >>>

No comments: